(This is an interview we did in 2011. We wanted to bring it to the forefront of our blog for all those who may have missed it way back when.) Excellent information for parents and for new writers.
1. Hello Caron, can you begin by telling us about yourself and the books you've written?
I was completing my doctorate, a lifelong goal, in 1983. The achievement was so meritorious in my mind, that the let-down after the expectation was depressing. My future however was determined for me by three out-of-body experiences in one year, which opened psychic talents and thrust me into a future as a medical intuitive, spiritual therapist and healer. The next years were very inspiring and books that I wrote through that period came out in the early 90’s. Then the next set of published books started in 2000 and beyond. And I have always been writing since that year - seminars, e-books, poetry and journals. And I am still creating books for myself and have served as a ghostwriter for 54 projects in 8 years. Can you tell it is a passion?
2. Did you always want to become an author? I did not grow up thinking that way. I grew up knowing I would be a teacher and help people. Yet i wrote poetry as a junior high student, was encouraged as a creative writer by a high school teacher, won several writing contests in high school, and then shut it down until awakened again in my 30s
3. How did your book Raising Intuitive Children come about? Tara Paterson, my co-author, had several energy sensitive children, whom I call kids with high intuitive intelligence, far more than intuition. In our talking together, I asked her to share her stories of her children, their talents, how she raised them. Our desires to help alternative and more mainstream parents manifested in this book, subsequent courses and coaching for families. Intuitively, we both knew it was the right time. An agent picked it up and found us a publisher in one week. And the book went on to win the USA National Parenting Book Award. Quite a ride following intuition!
4. Did you self-publish or go the traditional publishing route? A traditional publisher published Raising Intuitive Children
How many books do you have published?
Tangible books with covers – around 15. E-books – probably ten more.
5. I really like how in your book Kids Who See Ghosts ~ How to guide them through fear, you talk about the electromagnetic spectrum. I found it very interesting that most humans see a very narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum and rattlesnakes see the whole infrared spectrum. You have packed a lot of great information and stories into your book. I'm really enjoying reading your book. This is a topic I'm very interested in. What started you on the process of writing this particular book?
When Raising Intuitive Children was published, the segment of the population of parents and teens who responded on that book’s blog were asking questions about ghosts, psychic gifts, managing a kids fears, what was real for a child, and what was not real. I spent a year answering every single question and decided a book on the topic would be a better fit than continuing the effort on the blog. A publisher agreed and Kids Who See Ghosts shot up in the amazon rankings in 2010.